Sunday, July 8, 2007

Smith + Wesson M+P 9c: Maybe the ultimate CCW pistol!


The Smith + Wesson 9c 9mm compact.

This model also comes in a .40 for those who prefer.

My experience, so far: This pistol is remarkably easy to carry and functions flawlessly. I have about 1500 rounds through mine so far and find it quite easy to shoot well.

There are only two features that are taking some time to get used to...

The sights are three dot fixed carry type units. Not bad, and the sight picture is not hard to deal with. On the other hand, in rapid shooting the three dots are a bit difficult to line up fast, with all three being exactly the same. The center dot on the front sight would be better suited as orange, or perhaps the whole blade should have an orange insert. This is easily dealt with.

The main feature that takes getting used to is the total lack of an external safety.
The pistol has a nifty trigger that, combined with internal design, makes certain the weapon will only fire if the trigger is pulled on purpose. That part is nice, but being forced to remember sweeping the safety off is not required will take some of us 1911 fans a little while.

A real surprise was the accuracy I got from this cut down duty gun. Holding groups under two inches at 50 feet was no problem at all from the bench. One inch groups were common. That says something for the quality of the design and construction.

The pistol has the same natural pointing grip angle as a 1911, and fast double taps at
20 feet found 95% of the hits on the center of a 1/3 scale IDPA target.

The only real flaw noted after many rounds down range and months of daily carry was a small one. Yes, the pistol is polymer and stainless with a matt black finish. It's pretty much corrosion proof, and thats great. MOST of it is anyway..... the rear sight being an exception. It's blackened steel and can rust when exposed to summer sweat from a
deep concealment holster. A Daily wipe down takes care of the problem, but a stainless sight on a stainless pistol would be a nice touch.

My advice..... if you CCW carry and like the calbers offered, you'd be hard pressed to do better than the S+W compact M+P models.

4 comments:

Herb said...

I have this pistol in 9MM and carry it off duty. I love it. I bought it, met a range officer at our range, took it out of the box, and qualified with it. I carry it off duty and shoot quite often. I have recommended the S&W Compact to friends and other officers. Thanks for this blog.

Anonymous said...

I, too, have this S&W and absolutely love it. Like your review of the Maxpedition Versa pack, I carry my S&W M&P 9mm in a Maxpedition briefcase.

I must disagree, however, with you on "best CCW" gun. I am a freak for a 1911 in .45ACP (DUH!), but I am convinced that the all-time best CCW gun is the Glock 19. High capacity (16 rounds), easy to carry, easy to carry extra ammo, plenty of accessories (CT laser grips), plus, it's the AK-47 of handguns (it always goes "bang").

There was a time (12+ years ago) when I would not seriously carry 9mm as a primary handgun, but now, all of the manufacturers have "upped their game"; especially Cor Bon in PowRball and DPX. I also like the Ranger SXT +P. Federal EFMJ is good, too.

Just my opinion.

W

GTP said...

I love my M&P 9c! Feels much more natural in my hand than Glocks to me. Very accurate and easy to shoot with minimal muzzle flip for a compact auto. It's actually fun to shoot and that alone says a lot for a CCW pistol! Highly recommend it.

michael said...

I have had my M&P 9c for almost a year now and have waited to post anything about it until I was through the "honeymoon" phase. I have held, shot, and owned many guns and pistols and this is by far the best purchase I have ever made! In 3200 rounds, I have not had a single FTE/double feed/stovepipe or FTF. It is a remarkably reliable firearm which will give any Glock a run for its money. I carry this everyday in a DeSantis Thumb-Break Scabbard and this is a great combo for comfort and tactics.
I have the ambidextrous manual safety and this is the only feature that I could do without but it is not a bad thing. I've heard people say that they don't like the internal breakdown lever, and I will agree that it is an extra step; however how many people have shot themselves while attempting to clean an "unloaded" weapon. This lever removes the "pull-the-trigger" to strip the firearm.
For the cost of this workhorse, you can't go wrong.