Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sighting drills with the AR180b and Eotech 512

Range time today!

Mission: Practice sighting with the AR180b and the Eotech 512 holographic sight. Acquiring the target as fast as I can and shooting a hole in it.

Standing offhand, I had an 8" target setup at 25 yards. My goal was simple.... Shoulder the rifle and hit the target in under one second.

Seated at the bench, I had a different plan. At the fifty yard line I had hung five 4"x6" index cards, and I tried to sight on each in turn, one after the other, as fast as I could. In the video it looks like I am blasting away, but actually I am changing targets with every shot. They were placed at odd spots and different levels on the backstop.



video video


The results are pleasing to me.... I hit the cards, as quick as I could, and that was all I asked for. I burned off 160 rounds practicing this... and it went way too fast.
On the other hand, I drove home with a smile on my face.

7 comments:

farmist said...

Minute-of-goblin accuracy there.
Bravo!
Sounds like a great drill to try.

Somerled said...

Yep, that's more fun that staying out of the bitter wind and browsing the Brownells catalog. Have a good week, Art.

The Hermit said...

You must burn through considerable .223. Do you reload it?

Carteach0 said...

Yup, I reload it. The magazines stay loaded with Privy Partisan factory, this rifles favorite load.
It's chamber is tight, and it's fussy about reloads. They need to be full length sized and full power to give 100% function. With factory, it's never missed a beat yet.

The range day I speak of in this post, I burned up all the stray Wolf, Barnall, and test reloads I had. Just the bits and dregs that accumulate. That's one reason I wasn't sweating stirling accuracy... each magazine might have had two or three different oads in it.

FUN way to burn up spare ammunition. Yes, I reload, but I buy the Privy in 200 round packs for a decent price. As often as I shoot this rifle, it suits.

The Hermit said...

I reload but have not tried the .223 though I bought the dies. I just ordered 500 rounds of Barnal from Sportsmans Guide. I usually stay away from steel cased .223, but time grows short and I'm laying in some extra. No telling if it will be available down the road.

RobD said...

That looks like a good drill. I will have to give that one a try. Thanks.

Cowboy Blob said...

I love how fast the EOTech lets me acquire the target!