Saturday, October 11, 2008

Thats a dirty Colt!




Amongst the chores today, clean and repair a few pistols. The Colt .45 was due for cleaning, somehow having been missed the last few range visits (I'm lazy). Field stripping it..... I am now amazed that it functioned normally! It had about 500 rounds between cleanings, and it was grungy. Disgustingly so.

Half a roll of paper towels, maybe 140 Q-tips, a quarter cup of Ballistol, and some elbow grease later.....

It's now clean again, and ready for the next run of grunge at the range.

Next project on this pistol... break and reshape the edges on that Bo-Mar target sight so it doesn't draw blood every time I carry it for CCW....

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

.45s are good for that :-) Not many pistols would still function after 500 rounds without cleaning! I can see where that Bo-Mar would draw blood, are you going to round all the edges or change sights?

If so, I'd recommend the Novak LMC 01 rear sights

http://www.novaksights.com/genuine%20novak%20sights/springfield_with_factory_installed_novak_sight.htm

Carteach0 said...

For the time being, I'll break the edges and round the outside corners.
If it's not enough, the Novak carry sight is my next move with it.

I like this Bo-mar... it suits my eye and I'm more than a little used to it. It's just not a carry pistol sight. Too sharp, too delicate...

I will post photos of it rounded off on the other blog tonight. Not blued... I am out of Oxpho blue and BC both.

The Hermit said...

That's an offense against nature! For penance, you should go buy yourself another Colt.

Somerled said...

The Bo-Mar will survive better, too, when rounded. They have a tendency to hook on door frames and other daily obstructions. I have a tendency to bump against stuff, I should confess.

Good thing the John-Denver-goose-down-stuffed-nylon look is past. Those old Micros and Bo-Mars could cause one to leave a wake of feathers.