Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A 91/30 Mosin rifle front sight fix


Does your Mosin rifle shoot high? Well? Does it Punk?....

Oh never mind......

My Mosins all shot about a foot high at 100 yards. Maybe this makes sen
se on a rough and tough battle rifle meant to shoot peoples, but I don't shoot peoples. I shoot smaller things, like paper targets and clay birds. Sights a foot off are a problem for me.

If the rifle shoots high, then lower the
rear sight or raise the front, right? Well..... the Mosin rear sight was already buried and the front is not adjustable. So, if the rear sight can't go down, then the front must go up, somehow.

I have heard of folks who took off the front sight, popped out the sight pin, and replaced it with a taller blued steel pin (made from a nail). Being lazy, frugal, and loath to make big changes in my old military surplus rifles, I came up with another fix.

I found that common Q-tips have a tube diameter that just slides over the original Russian sight pin, with a very tight fit. Cut the Q-tip..... tip..... off on one end. Use the rest of the Q-tip as a handle to force the tube down the sight pin using the hole in the top of the sight hood.

Once it's buried in place, use a small pair of scissors to trim the tube off. Go a little high, as the sight can be file adjusted at the range to bring the zero dead on at whatever distance you wish.
I chose to leave mine high enough that a 600 Meter rear sight setting put it in the bull at 100 yards. That gave me a better and more natural sight picture while shooting from positions.

I understand Mosin sight extensions are sold at the drug store, of all places. 500 for about $5. Who would'a thunk it!

(click on photos to enlarge if desired).


13 comments:

Bunnyman said...

And they have a secondary cleaning function, too!

Genius bit o' juryrigging, there.

Weetabix said...

Have you found that the different color helps you acquire the sights better? I'd think, not being black, they'd stand out against the target a bit better.

Carteach0 said...

Bunny, Thanks!

Weetabix, Yes, that is a side benifit. On a white/black target it stands out nicely. The downside is the width of the sight is wider, making fine aiming a bit more difficult.

BillH said...

oh great, now they have to close down Walgreens for selling do it yourself battle rifle parts designed to make them more lethal, and we'll all have to go back to using (insert favorite) instead of Q-tips... ;-)

Old NFO said...

LOL- Love the field expedient fix!

Carteach0 said...

BillH: We can still oder elicit Q-tips from iceland, over the interwebs (g).

Old NFO: Good luck in the land of the rising sun, although I bet it doesn't warm a thing right now :-( BRRRrrrrr.

red said...

Very nice!

Here's an other good trick:

http://theboxotruth.com/docs/edu63.htm

I need to pick up a second Mosin, maybe a M44 this time.

Sigivald said...

That's an interesting thing that comes to mind... if it's not adjustable, why did they put a hole in above it?

On every rifle I've noticed a hole above the front sight, it's for adjusting the sight (like on an SKS or AK).

Carteach0 said...

Sigivald,

The front sight pin is replaced by first removing the sight from the rifle, and then driving the pin out of the sight. To do so requires a punch be inserted down onto the sight pin. Thats the best guess I have as to why the hole is in the sight hood.

farmist said...

"The downside is the width of the sight is wider, making fine aiming a bit more difficult."

How about filing the tip of the tube to a narrower profile? Or fill it with glue, then file after the glue hardens?

Anonymous said...

Before you make any Adjustments to your front sight try the larger grain ammo. I was shooting high with the 174 grain bullet... then I shot the 204 grain bullet. Dead-on the bullseye at 100 yards.

Matt said...

My M38 has the same problem shooting high. Yeah, the 203 grain brown bear does put it right on, but I already have about 800 rounds of polish 176 grain, so q-tip it is! Thanks for the idea!

spion said...

brilliant idea, I was putting some thought into it and had an idea about the fatter front sight. Black, red, green whatever color you want in shrink tube and a thin piece of plastic. Think toothpick or something thinner. shrink tube over original post and put thinner plastic piece on top. heat to shrink and cut to adjust elevation. I like the idea of having it too long and using the rear to adjust for different rounds you will be shooting. I have not tried this yet but if anyone does before me let me know how it turned out.