Monday, January 2, 2012

Zen and the art of hand loading......

.




This morning I spent a few enjoyable hours at the reloading bench, preparing cases for my new M1 Garand. It came with a can of Greek HXP, and I have begun the work towards getting registered with the CMP so I can buy more.... but it's clear that is a well soon to go dry.

Given the scarcity of factory loads suitable for the Grand Garand, the answer is obvious.... I will load my own.

So, all my assorted 30-06 cases went into the big polisher yesterday. This morning.... full length size, re-polish, trim to length, debur flash holes, true up primer pockets, polish inside necks... all the things that help make hand loads special.

In the workshop, with music playing softly and the heaters keeping it comfortable, it's possible to mentally shift and become so focused on the job at hand... the rest of the world goes away.

Repetitive motions... insert, tighten, twist, remove, twist, spin, twist, flip, spin, insert..... and repeat till the bin is empty of waiting shell casings. All with the mind focused intently on the job at hand, alert solely to any issues, problems, or oddities. No room for wandering thoughts and no consciousness to spare for the world's problems.

Does my M1 really need ammunition loaded to this level of exactness? By no means. It's not a national match rifle, nor am I an astounding marksman. That said... why not make it as good as I can? There is a satisfaction to understanding the process, and doing it as well as one possibly can.

Yes, a hand loader can get lost in the work, till minutes become hours, and suddenly half the day is gone.

Princess called, and I never even heard the phone ring......




5 comments:

Sean D Sorrentino said...

Huh. I thought that I was the only one.

There's a certain happiness that comes from doing your best at a simple task. Another bit of that Zen thingy that the recent "Buddhist Yoga Instructor Woman has a Gun" story talked about.

Old NFO said...

But doing it right is it's OWN reward...

Anonymous said...

Due to your writing I got into reloading and I find it is a relaxing way to spend an afternoon or evening. One of the rewards is watching my lefty neighbors choke when they walk by my garage and see me merrily creating a lovely stockpile of ammo. In Calif. that could probably get me defined as a terrorist.

akaangrywhiteman said...

I refer to it as being in the zone, you explained it well. To me it is a disciplined exercise I enjoy.

Jeff Bartlett sometimes has good buys on pulldown components.

http://www.gibrass.com/

Skip said...

Here in Central Cal., on a summer night, with the garage door open and me at the bench, the problem is the distractions. Neighbors who want to watch and B.S. or want me to load for them....sigh.