Sunday, April 29, 2012

No excuses.... the Ruger 10/22 Target model

.


Sometimes, a rifle 'wants' to shoot. Picking it up and putting it to shoulder seems natural. Holding it steady on target, appears easy. Squeezing off a shot, only to see a hole almost magically happen exactly where it was pointed.... like it was meant to be.

It could be an ancient Mauser, bearing the ghosts of soldiers long marched away. Perhaps, a family hunting rifle, passed down from father to son, uncle to nephew, or mother to daughter. Rarely, it's a new piece, just removed from box or case.

This time, the rifle that 'wants to shoot', is a Ruger 10/22 target version. Its in satin stainless with a brown laminate stock and a spiral forged heavy barrel... this weapon simply shoots straight. Not a little straight, and not 'good groups', but straight. The bullets fly so true that 'groups' of one slightly wide hole could easily be the norm.

This rifle came to Carteach, pleased old man that he is, from a new local gun shop (To be featured in a later article... a fascinating place!). It's destined to be used at an upcoming Appleseed event, where I expect it to earn it's name.

Yes... name. Sometimes rifles get names.

Years of trigger time, match after match, earned my ancient Turkish Mauser the name 'Grand Old Turk'. It took only one match for my Garand, gifted to me by a true gentleman, to earn the name 'Liberty'.

This rifle, the Ruger 10/22 target model laying there on my sofa, after only a few days of shooting... it has a name now too. Soon it will be an earned name as well.

This one.... I call 'No Excuses'.

My overall impression, besides the almost disgusted and gushing happiness, is a pretty good one. I have been looking at Ruger 10/22 rifles ever since the last Appleseed seminar I attended. I like the idea of the rifle (I've owned them in the past, but have given them away over the years). As an Appleseed rifle, the 10/22 has much going for it.

On the other hand, to extract the best accuracy from one, it's almost like my daddy's axe. You know the one... the axe that's SO good it's had twelve new handles and three new heads since he's owned it. Ruger 10/22's have so many possible aftermarket options and accuracy upgrades, one can be left with nothing original but the receiver.... and those are available too.

As an accuracy rifle to be used in positions with a sling, I'd expect a standard 10/22 to need a bit of work. New Tech-sights to start with, and then a new Hornet Trigger Assembly as well. Good sights an
d a good trigger... must haves for truly accurate shooting. Next, since I'm a big guy, a new Stock would be needed.

One can see where this swapping out of parts towards an 'ideal' target rifle can rapidly get out of hand, and be VERY expensive.

With that idea in mind, I took a chance in handling the 10/22 target model at the store.... and very quickly discover
ed that it already had just about everything I could possible want in a .22 target rifle. Decent stock, excellent trigger, very heavy target grade bull barrel, sling swivels, and it even comes in low maintenance stainless steel.

The target model comes sans sights, and this is okay by me. My aging eyes really benefit from optics, and while I strive to master iron sights to the best of my ability, I've been forced to acknowledge I shoot better with some form of optics. The Target model comes with a drilled and tapped receiver, and a bolt on Weaver mounting rail. To this I attached an Eotech 512, as a sighting aid for the next Appleseed. That's what was used to shoot the target above.... shot at 40 feet from a simple rest on a porch railing.

One day soon I'll bolt on a big scope, and put this rifle on a solid rest... and see what it can really do.

I bought the this rifle, and to someone looking for a rifle of this type, I can heartily recommend it... with one caveat. There will be no more excuses for missing, as this thing is a bloody laser.

No Excuses.....



12 comments:

Long Island Mike said...

Agreed on this little beauty. In January I picked up the model with the Hogue overmolded stock. I put on it the new Nikon 3-9 AO rimfire scope. I can recommend this scope as being Nikon quality and half the price of "other" top brands. It is a tack driver alright. Plus I tried a half dozen brands of ammo. From your basic std. velocity lead pellets, to high velocity stuff. It digested all with equal gusto. Only had a couple of 30 year old rounds FTE or duds.

Only thing I would like to add is a hooked buttplate to slightly balance out the muzzle heaviness of the gun in offhand. Good luck and good shooting !

Carteach said...

LIM,

I was considering that scope, and a new design mount to go with it (Look for a post in a few weeks perhaps).

Everything I have tried in this rifle shoots, so far. The best being CCI Standard velocity. This this thing actually grouped Aguilla 60 grain subsonics, and that's a first for me.

Old NFO said...

Take a look at the Nikon scopes for .22 rifles, they are relatively inexpensive, and are good 4X (which works for an Appleseed)!

Long Island Mike said...

Just an FYI...I actually purchased the Nikon 4X rimfire scope first. The public indoor range I shoot at has points up to 90 feet (30 yards). Maybe I am getting old (LOL) but I put up some A36 targets, ran them out to various distances,and found it to not be up to the task. Also the 4x doesn't have an AO. Its parallax is set for 50 yds. One session with it and I ordered the 3-9 AO. It is a darn nice scope and this is what will stay on my target model 10/22.

Carteach I will extend an offer. If you want, I could send you the 4x when you do your review and you can do a comparison head to head. I'll pick up mailing for my end, if you pick up mailing it back. I'd be interested in what someone else thinks of the two scopes. I could fully understand if someone else comes away with a different opinion. Like I said my eyes are old eyes and the extra power and parallax help out.

Shepherd K said...

Okay, you convinced me. I must have one now.

Carteach said...

Mike, it's a good offer, and I may take you up on it. It will be a few weeks before I spring the cash to buy the 3x9 Nikon, what with all those pesky bills coming first.

I'd like to compare the two, although I expect to reach the same conclusion you did, for the same reasons. The 4x sounds like a fine hunting scope for a good .22, but this Ruger Target model is just that... for target shooting.

In fact, I think I shall retire to the range shortly and experiment with several kinds of ammunition through it.

Anonymous said...

Never could understand folks that bought a brand new rifle, then replaced everything on it. This looks like a pretty good option, thanks for the review.

Anonymous said...

I recently got a 10/22-T with a polished stainless barrel. Haven't seen one unpolished. I mounted a 24x Tasco scope for 50yd benchrest, but can only get 1 MOA using target ammo. I'd be curious what your's can do.

Ed said...

Congrats - that looks like a real nice rifle. Among many shootin irons on my want list is a 10/22 but I want a short .920" 16.5 - 17" barrel. After much looking around I think the Majestic Arms 17" Alumi-Lite barrel would be the one. Only 24.2 oz - not the lightest barrel but I don't want super light. I could even go with a less spendy and heavier barrel as long as it still is around 16.5". I would like to compete someday - appleseed etc. and compete with a pistol too - some day! I finished a lamp a while back and put it up on Etsy....it will be a start if that sells.

Scott said...

Great shooting. It never ceases to amaze me just how accurate these rifles are when used they way they are intended. Add to the fact that they there are more custom parts and accessories than you will ever need and you just can't go wrong with any style of 10/22.

Mike Painter said...

I'm looking at purchasing this model. Is the trigger a single or two stage system? If it's a two stage, is it adjustable? My son has the standard 10/22 and added a Tony Kidd 2 stage trigger, factory adjusted to 12 oz. It's simply the nicest trigger I've ever had the opportunity to pull. In hoping I can adjust the factory trigger to a lower pull weight without having to spend the nearly $300 for a new trigger. Thanks.

Mick said...

A little note: I love my 10-22's; one "Rifle",c.1975, one Carbine, c.2005. The only part I've changed on either is the extractor... go with the $13.00 Volquartsen. I've put them in all my Ruger pistols as well and haven't had an extraction problem since; the factory ones are stamped vs. machined/EDM, sharp as a knife. 5-minute swap-out.