Monday, October 29, 2012

While we are talking disaster prep.... LED lanterns


Seems like a good day to mention these things: Rayovac LED Lantern




I own three of these things.... and have found them worth every single penny they cost, and more.

Lots of light... like 'reading comfortably' bright light, and a lower intensity mode that makes for very nice walking around the house/garage/patio type lighting.

Being LED units, they sip battery power like it was fine whiskey.  I've used mine for outdoor party lighting all summer long, and never needed new batteries.  With the oncoming storm, I replaced them anyway, just in case.

Most of those parties, the lanterns were forgotten overnight, and were found burning away the next morning.  These things last forever on a set of batteries!  

No heat, no flames, utterly safe, excellent and very useful features (Carry/hanging handle, blinking ready light, etc), and they last forever on a set of batteries.

Yup... I have three, and some batteries..... which means I have all the light I can use for days and days and days...

  

6 comments:

Old NFO said...

Those do work, and are relatively cheap too!

Alien said...

I have several, plus a couple of the Eveready versions, all work well, the Rayovacs are easier to use and seem brighter. The Eveready has a dim amber "night light" that uses almost no current, and is a helpful marker to find the light when you set it down.

Two tips: Strategic placement of small, discrete ceiling hooks prior to a lights-out emergency allows hanging lanterns in places to generate area light (next to an existing ceiling fixture covers the same general area and is reasonably visually unobtrusive), and; Amazon offers their "subscribe and save" option on batteries. Select a quantity, select a frequency (I do 6 months), and when the package arrives it's a reminder to replace batteries in critical equipment.

Anonymous said...

I've been on the fence about these, as I own a TON of LED flashlights/headlights.

If they're good enough for the Teach, they're good enough for me. Wil lbe picking up a couple soon at Wallyworld, and using previous poster's idea of the hooks..

michigan doug said...

ok, that takes care of my christmas shopping. i ordered 6 of the lanterns and 6 of the butane stoves.

agirlandhergun said...

Oh, good addition. Thanks.

Firehand said...

I need to get a couple of these. I've got a bunch of flashlights too, but having something you can hang or sit down for area light is a VERY nice thing.

Got a couple of little lanterns, but it's not the best of light; so, when money allows...