This is another product that Laserlyte has (foolishly?) placed in my hands for review. They seem to be doing a lot of that lately.
These are >laser activated indoor plinking cans...
The idea is, one uses any laser equipped training tool, or real weapon with a laser training aid installed, and shoots these cans. Quietly. In the house even, or an apartment, or the office I suppose.
They are about the size of a medium juice can, such as V8 comes in. Each is powered by a 9v battery, and has a rod that springs out of the base of the can when activated, tipping the can over likes its been hit. I have no idea how long the battery lasts, as I am still on the first one several weeks into nightly (laser) blasting sessions.
On the front of the can is a light sensitive patch about 1.5" around. When the laser pulse hits that spot, the can.... just falls over.
A few points:
- The laser target cans do not do well in strong light. A brightly lit room (like sunlight) will have them constantly tripping. They need to be used in a somewhat darkened area. That doesn't mean they just click merrily away half the day, for jimminies sake. They DO have an off switch.
- They are.... a might bit pricey. I suppose, considering there is NOTHING like them on the market, that the price is relative only to the desire to own such neat toys.
- Setting these up and allowing someone who has never seen them to take a shot always.... and I mean every single time..... results in laughter and happy-shooty times. New shooters, experienced shooters, you name it.... everyone there instantly wants a turn.
- The fact that any strong light will trip them allowed me to use them as reactive targets when practicing room sweeps with a light equipped pistol. Flash on target equals target falling over. That's pretty neat.
- Weak hand / weak eye shooting with these is a blast. Is it fun? Is it training? I can't decide.... but I'm sure getting better at it.