Thursday, January 9, 2014

Liberty civil defense ammunition...



I have some Liberty Ammunition in for test and eval.... and it's interesting as hell.  An honest 2000 fps from a 9x19mm, and 1850 fps from a .45acp.  Even the little .380 cranked a pill out at nearly 1400 fps from a Ruger LCP.  These are real world numbers from multiple strings over my Pact Chronograph.

High velocity pistol ammunition?  No question at all.  

The only question will be the terminal ballistics, which I'm still working on.   No fears my friends... The Old Fat Man will report out on whatever he discovers!

Recovered fragments of .45 acp from the time honored 'Stack 'O Magazines' test.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, very fast. But look at the bullet weight - 9mm/380 = 50gr, 45ACP = 70 gr, 40 SW = 60 gr. Awfully lightweight stuff.

Carteach said...

As I said.... it devolves to the terminal ballistics. What does the bullet do when it arrives at the target? Penetration, permanent wound channel, temporary wound channel, hydraulic disruption,

Personally, I have not seen a bullet of this design before. It would be easy to dismiss it because it's light weight, or proclaim it's greatness based solely on velocity, but both would be wrong.

Frankly, I'm considering finding a great big hunk of meat to shoot holes in.

.45ACP+P said...

I too await your testing. I have purchased some and function tested in several of our various carry guns with out issue. The stuff does not recoil like my usual +P loads but more like hardball. At my range I am limited to paper targets.

Wilson said...

Very interesting concept but as has already been mentioned the bullet weights make me doubtful. Can’t wait for your continued tests!

drjim said...

This month's American Rifleman has a mention of it.